Monday, February 7, 2011

Candied Grapefruit Peel


Have you ever had candied citrus peel? Its a bit chewy, a little tart, and a little sweet. My kind of candy really, and I adore citrus- so there's that.

As a kid I remember my grandpa telling me about the citrus orchards in the valley. I was amazed that just a few hours drive away (Texas is a big place!) were orchards bursting with delicious grapefruits and oranges. I have yet to venture out to any Texas citrus orchards but I always enjoy their bounty each year. One of my favorites is the Rio Star grapefruit- its deliciously sweet and just a little tart, and the aroma of slicing into one is mouthwatering. This year after slicing and slurping my way through a giant, juicy Rio Star I wanted to do something more with this fruit, and before I knew it I was making Candied Grapefruit Peel. Read on for the recipe.

Candied Grapefruit Peel
(printable recipe)

1 large Rio Star Grapefruit
2 c sugar, plus 1/2 c
2 c water

Cut the ends off the grapefruit to make a flat cutting surface. Put one side down on the cutting board and proceed to cut the grapefruit in 8 wedges. Remove the fruit (eat it!) and slice the rind lengthwise into 1/2" slices. Place each slice rind side up on the cutting board, use a sharp knife to carefully cut away as much of the white as possible, this will keep the candy from being bitter. The peel should be almost transparent.

Place the peels in boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain and combine 2 c sugar and 2 c water over low heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Add the peels and boil for 20 minutes. Use a fork or tongs to remove each peel from the syrup and dredge in sugar, coating all sides. Place on parchment to dry, about 20-30 minutes. If you'd like dip in dark chocolate!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a nice, sweet ending to a romantic Valentine's dinner. However, at 62 I've already officially exceeded my man quota, so no Valentine for me, but nothing says I can't make this for myself...:)

    ReplyDelete