Monday, January 24, 2011

Road trip: Amarillo / Canyon, TX

So far January has been a pretty hectic month for us. You may have noticed that I haven't been posting quite as frequently. Honestly I haven't had the energy to shop, cook, photograph, edit and write as much as I've wanted to. Over the holidays Hank and I found out that we are expecting our very first child! Needless to say I'm experiencing the exhaustion that comes with pregnancy. All I want to do when I get home is eat a burger, watch the tube, and lounge around- I haven't had energy to do much else.


Along with all this, we've been caring for a new puppy! We drove out to Canyon, TX this past weekend to pick up little Zeke. He's been a joy so far and we're so happy to have him as part of our growing family.
I thought I'd recap a few of the sites in case you happen to drive through this area of the panhandle. I love a good road trip, and as usual planned every one of our meals.


In true Texas fashion we stayed at the Big Texan Motel. The rooms were nicely appointed with a king bed complete with faux-suede duvet, a large western mural, and saloon doors to the closet / washroom. Across the way from the hotel is the Big Texan Steak Ranch, famous for its free 72 oz steak- that is if you can eat it in an hour. But not only do you have to eat the steak, you have to swallow all the sides- a baked potato, shrimp cocktail, salad, and a roll. Definitely not for the faint of heart.


We dined at the Big Texan, and although I contemplated the challenge I knew I was no match for that much food, and I could never bring myself to waste steak. Hank and I stuck with a reasonable portion, an 8oz. top sirloin with sides. The steak was seasoned well, extremely juicy and cooked perfectly.


For dinner we headed over to Coyote Bluff Cafe, renowned for their burgers. After such a great lunch we weren't awfully hungry but still managed to share some delicious chili cheese fries, a hickory burger for me, and a bacon cheeseburger for Hank. Both were substantial and delicious, I just wish I was hungrier.


Coyote Bluff is a great little place, we were immediately offered a beer when we walked in (Hank indulged, I of course did not), the place was packed but we only waited a few minutes before we were seated. Unfortunately we were put in a dark corner so I don't have any food photos to share but we'd definitely go back if we're ever in Amarillo.


The next morning it was time to pickup Zeke. I had planned it so we'd have just enough time to grab a quick breakfast at El Tejavan, which was just minutes away from the hotel. Unfortunately Urbanspoon had the wrong opening time listed and we couldn't wait any longer before we had to hit the road. I can say that we could smell fresh corn tortillas from outside- I wish we could have sampled them. Instead we grabbed a bite at a small diner in Canyon, the Ranch House Cafe, before going to pickup the puppy.

All in all it was a great trip, lots of good food and a nice little escape from the big city. I'd definitely recommend the Big Texan for the kitsch and great steaks and Coyote Bluff for a great burger and an awesome plate of fries.

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful news about the pregnancy! Congratulations! I'm sure you've had much more on your mind lately than recipes. :)

    The trip sounds like fun. I love your restaurant recommendations almost as much as I love your cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A baby. How wonderful. Congratulations!

    And what a cute doggie. What breed is he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Hank and I are ecstatic about baby!

    @Sage Trifle: Zeke is a Schipperke, the breed is originally from Belgium. They have a LOT of character, a big dog in a small package, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the baby! that's wonderful news!

    hey that looks like a super fun trip. when i lived in texas i don't think i ever made it to Amarillo. always wanted to though.

    ReplyDelete