Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Queso Blanco Burgers


A few months back Rebekah from Rebekah's House of Munch posted these amazing burgers. I could not wait to give them a try, a burger covered in queso? Yes please, and thank you.

These Queso Blanco Burgers have a few components but come together easily. The patty is spiced up with a bit of hot sauce, cooked to perfection, then covered with homemade queso blanco and topped with pico and sliced avocado. Definitely my kind of burger.

Now, as luck would have it my internet crapped out the day I planned to make these so I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but remembered most of it and improvised where I could, adding what I had on hand. Here's how they came together.


Queso Blanco Burgers
(printable recipe)
adapted from Rebekah's House of Munch

for the patties:
about 2 lbs. ground sirloin
1/4 lb. chorizo
3 tbsp. hot sauce (I like El Yucateco chile habanero)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. comino

for the queso blanco:
3 tbsp. butter
1/3 c diced onion
1 jalapeno, diced
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 c milk
1 small poblano, roasted and diced
8-10 oz. white american cheese, shredded
4 oz. monterrey jack cheese, shredded


pico de gallo
8 hamburger buns
sliced avocado

To make the hamburger patties combine the meat, hot sauce, and seasonings. Mix thoroughly and form into 8 patties. Grill outside or in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Set aside.

For the queso blanco saute the onion and jalapeno in half the butter until soft. Add the remaining butter, and turn the heat to medium low. Add the flour and stir together to form a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Add the poblano and shredded cheese, stir until combined, adding more milk to thin to desired consistency if needed.

Assemble the burgers. Place a patty on each toasted bun, top with warm queso, pico de gallo, and sliced avocado. Serve with spicy chichurritos.

4 comments:

  1. Queso Blanco Yummo! I tell you, I want to eat everything you make!!!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look soooooooo good. You had me at queso, but when you said avocado, I was a goner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I never make a burger without avocado, its become essential for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay i'm glad you made 'em. aren't they just the greatest burger ever? give me anything smothered in queso and i'll think it's delightful. thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete